I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Fri Jun 21 06:17:13 EDT 2002

* Derek Thomson <derek at wedgetail.com> [2002-06-21 09:50 +0000]:
> David Mitchell wrote:
> >.. there was something equivalent in scope and breadth to CPAN.
>
> I (almost) agree, and sympathise :)
>

> >Is ANYONE working on this, or thinking about working on it, or knows
> >someone who's thinking about working on it, or dreaming about it, or ...?
>
> Among other things, it's one of the reasons I'm tinkering with a Perl ORB.

Have you checked out PyPerl? I've seen questions about it on this
mailing list in the past, but can't find the URL at the moment.

> [...] What we *really* need to do is dynamically create CORBA
> interfaces for Perl modules, but that might be impossible given that
> Perl is like Python in that module and class interfaces aren't
> pre-declared :(

Why is that a problem? Why not just override __getattr__ or its
Perl-equivalent and switch to SOAP/XML-RPC instead of CORBA? You're
restricted to simple data types, then, but that would probably be the
same for CORBA, right?

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930