I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Fri Jun 21 05:50:54 EDT 2002

David Mitchell wrote:
> .. there was something equivalent in scope and breadth to CPAN.

I (almost) agree, and sympathise :)

> Is ANYONE working on this, or thinking about working on it, or knows
> someone who's thinking about working on it, or dreaming about it, or ...?

Among other things, it's one of the reasons I'm tinkering with a Perl ORB.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlorb

If you use a Python ORB, such a Fnorb,
[http://sourceforge.net/projects/fnorb], on the Python side, you should
be able to write wrappers for your favourite Perl module pretty easily
and use them from Python.

Yes, it's stop-gap, but when you already have a non-trivial Perl module,
either on CPAN or in-house, it can save a lot of rewriting. What we
*really* need to do is dynamically create CORBA interfaces for Perl
modules, but that might be impossible given that Perl is like Python in
that module and class interfaces aren't pre-declared :(

Anyway, feel free to email me if you want to try this approach and you
need guidance.

As for Parrot, maybe someone will port Python to it one day, and then we
would have something like Jython, but for Perl!

Regards,
Derek.