mail-problem over t-online

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Sun Jun 23 17:07:32 EDT 2002

Klaus Reinhardt <K.Rdt at TU-Berlin.DE> wrote in
news:mailman.1024859369.26585.python-list at python.org:
> Testing python and email I adapted this script:
>
>      host=smtplib.SMTP('mailszrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de')
>      host.sendmail(zwi_eck(From),zwi_eck(Tp),al)
>      host.quit
>
> This is working, when I'm directly connected to my
> old ISP TU-Berlin via ISDN. But the same is failing,
> when I'm connected at t-online via ADSL, with
> authentification required .. Providing my log and pass
> produces errors, too.
>
> Pop3 is working in both cases.
>
> Who can give me a hint?

spam protection? serious admins only allow sending from inside their
network and block send requests from the outside. (spammers search for such
machines so that someone else has the trouble with sending thousands of
emails)

POP3 on the other hand is no problem as reading emails is no problem
(except for some small privacy issues, like unencrypted passwords)

so i think your mailserver is properly configured :-)

sometimes mailservers are configred that they let you send emails from the
outside after you logging in to POP3. then for a couple of minutes you can
use SMPT. guessing from the error message, that could be that case here.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>