win32com under Cygwin

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 3 08:11:25 EDT 2002

"Chris Liechti" <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9221CB7B32FDcliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82...
> Tom Wiencko <tew at wiencko.com> wrote in news:3CF9846B.579606ED at wiencko.com:
>
> > There may be an easy answer for this, but I have not yet found it...
> >
> > I noticed that the Python distribution with Cygwin does not include the
> > win32 extensions.  The only distribution I can find for them is a
> > Windows executible, which does not seem to know about Cygwin.
>
> thats the official page of win32all:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/
>
> the binary version is compiled for the official python.org interpreter.
>
> > Can these libraries be loaded under Cygwin?  Do they even work under
> > Cygwin?  Can somebody point me toward how to load them if it is
> > possible?
>
> the sources are available from the page above. maybe you can manage to
> compile it with cygwin for cygwin python. don't know if that is easy...

I'm guessing that it would be easier to compile the win32all extensions
under mingw32 than under cygwin, because the former (IIRC) uses Microsoft
libraries, whereas the latter uses special libraries to give a modicum of
Posix compatibility.

It probably won't be impossible. I have compiled simpler extensions like
mxODBC and MySQLdb under cygwin with minor problems (that should go away, as
results were fed back to package authors). But don't expect a cygwin port to
be a simple recompile...

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/