M2Crypto: select() behaves weird on SSL sockets

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Jun 26 14:14:32 EDT 2002

Irmen de Jong <irmen at NOSPAMREMOVETHISxs4all.nl> writes:
> Kragen Sitaker wrote:
>  > Irmen, why aren't you using asyncore?
>
> My system (Pyro) is built around threads all the way.
> Switching to asyncore/medusa requires a big restructuring of
> my code, and that wasn't part of the plan for the next release of Pyro.

There are many pieces of middle ground between complete threading (two
threads per connection) and complete event-loop-drivenness with just
one thread --- as you're obviously aware, since you're using select()
in a threaded program.

What I guess you're not aware of is that asyncore supports the middle
ground (middle colors?) as well as the event-loop-driven end of the
spectrum.  For example, Zope has an asyncore thread that handles I/O,
but actually processes requests and produces results in some child
threads.