Python GUI

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 13 01:01:36 EDT 2002

"H. Safarzadeh" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I know that this subject is discussed in many other places, but I don't
> think it is harmful to talk about it more!
>
>  I want to what library I should use to make GUI for my Python apps?
>  I have examined many of them, but I couldn't find what I need. Here is
> the result of some of my examinations:
>
> -Tkinter: A nice simple lib, but really simple! It dosn't have enough
> widgets, and I do not like its look in addition!
> -wxPython: Really perfect. It has many widgets, and do many works(not
> only in GUI). But it is toooo big!(both on disk and in memory). I need a
> smaller one.
> -pyGTK and pyQt: I do not know enough about them. But I know that I do
> not like GTK look on Windows and Qt for Windows has some problems with
> its lisence(and it is tooo big, too!)
> -Jython/Swing: ....it's Jython, after all!
> -Win32 extensions: It is not portable!!!
>
> Any comments? Other possibilities?

AnyGUI <URL: http://anygui.sourceforge.net> should
be releasing again soon. The last release supported
wx, gtk, tk, win32, Jython, and curses - you write
your code and it "magically" works unchanged on
any of those UI platforms. There were a couple of
things missing, notably canvasses (eg Tk's Canvas)
and menus; the next release may (or may not)
remedy that.

Disclaimer: I have worked on Anygui in the past,
and hopefully will have time to continue to do
so in the future...

Cheers,

-- Joe
  "I could feel a small polished stone sinking through
   the darkest waters of my heart."
   - Haruki Murakami, "Dance Dance Dance"