Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Bill Tate tatebll at aol.com
Fri Jun 7 09:14:34 EDT 2002

hwcowan at hotmail.com (Hugh Cowan) wrote in message news:<46ca81a0.0206062016.789d3af6 at posting.google.com>...

[snip]
> My scenario is typical where I need to put together a company Intranet
> with a few front end Web-Pages where users can select information,
> various links, and enter search criteria.  The information is then
> retrieved from the MS-SQL Server and the results are sent back to the
> user.  It's nothing fancy, no shopping carts, or remembering sessions
> states, etc.. just really a simple front-end interface for
> non-technical people to easily retrieve information.
>
> I don't know if ZOPE would fit my situation or not.  I know that it is
> / can be used to create complex E-commerce sites, but I am wondering
> if it is overkill for what I need done.  Would I be better off trying
> to find some sort of RAD Web Tool instead (anyone have any good
> suggestions) ?

I think its safe to say that there are any number of tools that could
fit the bill here including Zope.  There are aspects of zope that can
make your life much easier (e.g., zsql methods) but it does take some
time to get used to it and everything it offers.  Several recent books
on the subject I think would be very helpful to you in this regard.
If you go to zope.org, there is some information on using WYSIWYG
tools such as Dreamweaver with zope that may also be of interest to
you as well.

I think zope works bests for you over the long haul where it is
important to keep things well organized and well structured.  The
ability to collaborate amongst individuals is also a great strength.
If these issues are important to you, then I would say that Zope would
be an excellent choice.

Good luck!!!