Python hits the spot

John Hunter jdhunter at nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sat Jun 22 10:45:39 EDT 2002

    Siegfried> My conclusion: I will rewrite my simulation in Fortran
    Siegfried> 90 and will abadon Python. Python is maybe good for
    Siegfried> some small scripts but not appropiate for serious
    Siegfried> programming.

Well, python *is* used for serious programming:

  http://www.zope.org
  http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/
  http://www.scipy.org
  http://pfdubois.com/numpy
  http://www.wxpython.org
  http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil
  http://sketch.sourceforge.net

You are jumping in to the deep water pretty fast, wrapping external
code with SWIG and F2PY.  When I first started wrapping my C++
classes, I encountered some system freezes as well.

If you post some code, you might get some real help, as well as advice
on how to debug where the freezes are occurring and why.  There is
support for debugging mixed language code.

Don't give up too early!

John Hunter