Where is Berkeley DB on your system? Can you live without DB 1.85?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jun 10 17:10:25 EDT 2002

[Kragen Sitaker, to David LeBlanc]

[on the bsddb.pyd installed by the PythonLabs Windows installer]
> That itself is probably the Python module that interfaces to whatever
> version of Berkeley DB you have, not Berkeley DB itself (although it
> could be statically linked in there),

Sam Rushing's Windows port of Berkeley DB 1.85 is statically linked in
there.  Read PCbuild/readme.txt in the source distribution; for the
convenience of compiler-less Windows users, we build and ship several
precompiled 3rd-party components in the Windows distro.

[on what the pitfalls of 1.85 are]
> I don't know what they are because I use sane versions of Berkeley DB.

See "2. Are there known problems with the 1.85 and 1.86 versions?" at

    http://www.sleepycat.com/historic.html

1.85-is-hopeless-ly y'rs  - tim