Hardware acceleration?

Wladimir gnufnork at fuckspam.hetdigitalegat.nl
Tue Jun 11 11:39:21 EDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:34:36 +0200, rzed wrote:

> It makes me wonder whether any such thing has been tried for the Python
> VM. Have there been any hardware projects taking a look at revving up
> Python?

Great idea.
But I think the python (same for perl) bytecode format is too much in
state of flux (not to mention undocumented) to make a hardware
implementation really feasible.
On the other hand, I remember something about the ARM series having
relatively easily customizable opcodes, then it would be great. *although
modern processors already have lots op optimalisations for interpreted
code so I doubt it would serve much of a purpose, maybe for embedded
devices?*

Wladimir