Efficient python programming...

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 20:29:36 EDT 2002

On 06-Jun-2002 Shagshag13 wrote:

>  I'm looking for any state of art, optimizing techniques, tips, that a
> python beginner couldn't know by itself, but should learn and
> would be aware to write "efficient and good looking"python's code...
>
>  (not the kind of thing which made you an obfuscated python nerd,
> but that "map" should be preferred to "for in loop" if possible, that
> dictionary are very well optimized, etc.)

the consensus on this list over the last year seems to be that optimized code is
usually the simplest implementation.  If you feel you are going through
hoops getting something working you probably need to take a step back, ponder
and maybe ask a question.

BTW tutor at python.org is a great place for new python coders to hang out, read,
and learn.