Python, QT, PyQt in Windows

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 19:39:28 EDT 2002

Pablo wrote:

> Hi, there.
> I am totally new in Python world(I started learning it from last
> weekend). I download the evaluation Python2.2 from Python.org. I
> download QT and PyQt, too. Now, my question is: how do I do Python
> program with QT or PyQt? In Python2.2, I have the IDLE, where I can do
> python program. But, in QT, the QT designer is for C++, in PyQt, there
> is no working environment at all. What do I need in order to take
> advantage of QT or PyQt when using Python?
> I saw a on-line book http://www.opendocs.org/pyqt/, but that is for
> Linux. I cannot follow the example in that book. Please, somebody who
> has the experience with Python, QT, PyQt in windows, tell me what I am
> supposed to do so that I can call the QT from Python.
> Thanks a lot.
> Pablo

I assume that you have downloaded the non-commercial edition of Qt for Windows.

The PyQt book isn't specifically for Linux - it applies equally to the
Windows version.

Qt Designer generates GUI designs stored as XML .ui files. If you are
programming in C++ then you use the uic program to generate C++ code
that implements your GUI. PyQt includes the pyuic program that generates
the corresponding Python code from the same .ui file.

PyQt includes eric, which does a similar job to IDLE, but requires Qt
3.x - the non-commercial edition of Qt is based on Qt v2.x. An
alternative is to buy the Personal Edition of BlackAdder from theKompany.

Phil