PythonWin + other GUIs = CRASH!

Stephan R.A. Deibel sdeibel at wingide.com
Wed Jul 3 14:04:40 EDT 2002

>IDLE crashes with Qt and pygame, too. It seems to be a general problem:
>It is not possible to start a GUI-Toolkit, when the application or the
>IDE is using a GUI itself. The only GUI which seems to work with most
>IDEs is tkInter. PyQt, wxPython and Pygame will crash.

Try Wing IDE.  Definately works with tkInter, PyQt, wxPython, and pygtk.
Also Zope, mod_python, numpy, and a bunch of other environments.  Not sure
about pygame, although Wing 1.1.5 makes improvements that might solve the
problems we had previously due to pygame's mucking with thread state

Sorry for the shameless plug (Wing IDE is a commercial product and I'm one
of the developers).  However, it does very likely solve the problem you
have.

Also, if you use Wing solely to develop non-commercial open source code,
you can apply for a free license.

BTW, I believe IDLE runs the debug process inside its own process, which
explains why it would crash if you introduce another mainloop that takes
control.  Not sure about PythonWin off-hand.  To avoid this, Wing always
runs the debug code in a seperate process.

It's definately not easy to write an industrial-strength Python debugger
than handles everything correctly... we've had to put a lot of effort into
it and there are still things that need to be done.

- Stephan

Wing IDE for Python                          Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
www.wingide.com                              Take Flight!