`~/.pythonrc' `from __future__ import'

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jul 8 15:14:19 EDT 2002

[Tim Peters]

> All the -Q options are documented in the division PEP:
>     http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0238.html

Thanks for the reference, I'll take a look.  One one hand, a future-related
option is not going to be extensively documented in the reference manual.
On the other hand, thinking about it, it could probably be documented
at least in the Python `man' page, since the option exists as of now.
Probably not worth the fuss? :-)

> > However, it wonder if this is all fully right.  [...] to check at run
> > time what features are currently available in the running Python.

> You could, although [...]  It was emphatically not the intent of
> future-statements to create multiple "pick and choose" dialects of Python.
> Its only design goal was to provide a transition period between flat-out
> incompatible semantics [...]

Let me thank you, Tim, for this comprehensive and enlightening answer!
I'm carefully saving it for later meditation. :-)