I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Mon Jul 1 12:37:05 EDT 2002

brueckd at tbye.com writes:
> Just to chime in - Aahz hit the nail on the head here... for whatever
> reason, *not* having a CPAN thingy just isn't that painful right now.
> Maybe someday it will be, and when that time comes we'll build one, but
> among long-time Pythonistas there just aren't that many people who are
> clamoring for it, including those who were long-time Perl folk in a
> previous life.

I think it's not so painful now because there isn't as much Python code
around as Perl code, so there isn't as much need for a CPAN-like thing
to keep it organized.  I don't know if it's just a matter of time for
more libraries to be developed or if it's somehow inherent in the Python
language and implementation that not as much seems to get done with it.
Most likely it's a combination of both.