Using Python for processing of large datasets (convincing managment)

Thomas Jensen spam at ob_scure.dk
Sun Jul 7 08:29:42 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Thomas Jensen wrote:
>
>>Oh, I thought Zope was "just" a product.
> It's a product.  Not sure what the "just" means here.

I didn't known there was a Zope Corporation :-)

>>I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear (in Denmark usually 5 nines means
>>uptime or accesability for web services). Actually I belive we "only"
>>guarantee 99,99% to our customers :-)
>
> That's quite another issue, and mostly related to setting up redundance
> suitably (no single point of failure).  And one in ten thousands IS much
> more reasonable / achievable than one in a hundred thousands.

I guess it is, and we do have redundancy on most of our systems. (We are
currently looking into total redundancy, but it quickly adds up).

[snip - VB6, etc]

> I won't.  But -- any opinion on the VB7, aka VBNET, release?  On paper
> it looks better than VB6 (it should -- they made two dozen incompatible
> changes, each taking it a bit closer to Python:-) but I have no idea
> about the reliability of the implementation, not having yet had to use it.

Me neither.
I think there are fundemental problems in basing a professional
programming language on Basic, but they may have twisted the Basic part
so much it is actually getting better :-)

--
Best Regards
Thomas Jensen