GUI toolkits

Steve Menard steve.menard at polyester.com
Wed Jul 24 11:49:30 EDT 2002

"Stefano Vedovelli" <spinwing at inwind.it> wrote in message
news:yLv%8.23058$s74.614012 at twister1.libero.it...
> Hello all
>
> in my spare time I am writing a tool in python, with the intention of
> deliver it under GPL.
>
> I am now starting to approach the GUI part. I have read a lot about
Tkinter,
> PyQT and wxWindows, but I am now actually even more confused.
>
> As the interface will be "quite" rich, I'd like to know the opinions of
> people who already faced this decision, which tool they have chosen and
> why.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned by the other posters is that pyQT does
not ofer full functionality under Windows. Last time I checked the only free
QT available on windows was 2.X, while on linux you can use QT 3.X.
widget-wise, QT2 is a lot weaker than the other toolkits.

I personally settle on wxWindows. I will not say I like it. I am used to
SWING and wxWindows is painful to use. But it works as well on all supported
platforms.

    Steve