GUI toolkits

Jolly Roger spyglass106 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 24 07:53:10 EDT 2002

Stefano Vedovelli <spinwing at inwind.it> writes:

> in my spare time I am writing a tool in python, with the intention of
> deliver it under GPL.
>
> I am now starting to approach the GUI part. I have read a lot about Tkinter,
> PyQT and wxWindows, but I am now actually even more confused.

Without commenting on the other toolkits you've mentioned, I have
found PyQt to be very good. Qt has a good selection of fairly
slick-looking widgets, it's well documented, its performance is fast
and robust, and it isn't all that difficult to learn (compared with
other systems of comparable size and functionality). It comes with a
visual GUI designer that can save you a lot of time and hassle. The
Python bindings are always up to date with Qt releases too.

The other toolkits may be just as good for all I know, but I've never
had cause to regret using PyQt.