Tkinter vs. wxPython

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Jul 19 11:19:34 EDT 2002

In article <c73a070e.0207182008.7565f67c at posting.google.com>,
d2002xx <d2002xx at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> My question is this: is there any compelling reason I shouldn't just go
>> with Tkinter instead? I work (for now) exclusively on Win32 boxes, by
>> the way.
>
>Just compare the number of widgets in wxPython and Tkinter, you will
>find out tkinter is almost useless. I'm wondering why python doesn't
>use wxPython (or PyQT) as default GUI.

'Cause, as others have already noted, Tkinter's both lighter-in-
weight and far more mature, particularly in regard to portability.

Tkinter's the basis for many applications which are far from
useless.  Its Text and Canvas widgets are particularly potent and
convenient; well-informed use of "tags" can make wxPythoneers en-
vious.

You're right that wxPython has many more widgets, and that quite
a few people find Tkinter's visual appearance "old-fashioned".
There are also quite a few people for whom that's secondary.

Moreover, Tkinter provides nice hooks for localization of widget
appearance.  I've run into still other people who say they get
acceptable Windows and Linux widget displays from Tkinter with
just a few option specifications.  Some of their tips are likely
to show up in <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/3214 >.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net