Python in the enterprise: Pros and cons

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jul 11 06:37:56 EDT 2002

Bo M. Maryniuck wrote:

> On Thursday 11 July 2002 11:03, Armin Steinhoff wrote:
>> These applications are system independent and are working under
>> QNX6.2, Linux and Windows.
>
> BTW, can You explain how to use QT/Python under Windows for non-commertial
> soft? I've tried and I've fault... What I should download from TrollTech
> to make my hello_world.py run QT widgets on Bill's platform? :/
>
> Note, that I have only Windows OS (no VisualBasic, no VC++, no Borland
> stuff etc). Only notepad.exe :) In other hand, I successfully use
> wxWindows on M$ Windows and Linux OS. And no problem tu run Python / QT
> 3.0 on Linux box. So seems that QT is quite hard to install on Windows. :|

You can _only_ use Qt 2.x on Windows without buying a Qt license. You can
either buy BlackAdder, which includes everything you need, or download
the non-commercial Qt for Windows, and the pre-compiled PyQt bindings (if
Phil still makes these available). There are a few nasty bugs in the
non-commercial version of Qt, though.

Links:

   ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/non-commercial
   http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/download/PyQt/