old thread: SSL support for socket module for server sockets

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Mon Jul 1 00:28:20 EDT 2002

* - c o v e n t r y - <coventry at one.net> [2002-06-30 21:02 -0700]:
> I was reviewing the archives and ran accross this patch submited for
> python 2.0, but too late to make it in...

There was an old patch, that was rejected, and
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=305470&func=detail&aid=452110
which I recommended not to include. Don't expect any great changes to
the existing client-side only Python SSL implementation. If Python grows
a new and better SSL implementation, it will likely be a complete
rewrite or the inclusion of one of the existing third-party alternatives
(http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/pyssl/index.html), which, at least for
M2Crypto and PyOpenSSL, are stable and have server-side SSL, real
certificate management, etc.

There was quite some discussion after a post of me to python-dev, but as
far as I understood, there wasn't a definite conclusion. And those, who
suggested to work on it, me included, apparently didn't have enough time
to.

Maybe it's about time to rise this issue again, but I still haven't
seriously evaluated the existing SSL modules :-/

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930