Completion in emacs mode

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 12:40:00 EDT 2002

Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for the ability to do command completion in Emacs' python
> mode. I haven't managed to get Google to show me anything really
> pertinent to this quest.
>
> Any ideas ?

Contact me privately if you want access to some still experimental code that
does this. It was written by Alex Schmolck for integration with ipython, so I
don't know if it works with plain python (ipython is better anyway :).

We haven't released it publically yet because it's not 100% finished, but
it's quite useable. You'll need

1. ipython, from http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython/
2. A patched (by Alex) python-mode.el, which I have and can give you.
3. A new ipython.el special mode file, which I also have (also written by
Alex).

This provides standard emacs-type completion (in a *Completions* buffer) for
python keywords, attributes and filenames in the current directory (ipython
has some basic shell-like functionality built-in).

Cheers,

f.