Completion in emacs mode

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Thu Jul 25 11:04:51 EDT 2002

"Mark McEahern" <marklists at mceahern.com> writes:

> > I'm looking for the ability to do command completion in Emacs' python
> > mode. I haven't managed to get Google to show me anything really
> > pertinent to this quest.
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/338/1993/12/0/1878323/

[link to description of new-dabbrev]

Thanks.

Abbrev works by searching buffers for candidates (IIRC). I need to
complete names of objects and their attributes (and their attributes,
and ...); these will either have been defined in C++ extension
modules, or constructed at runtime based on information obtained from
another process via a pipe. I think that dabbrev and its derivatives
will not be able to get at this information, though I would love to
hear that I am mistaken about this.