Help On file IO

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Wed Jul 24 20:09:10 EDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:13:16 +0530, "jayant kawadkar" <jayantkawadkar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>   Hello ,
>
>       I want a help on File IO ,as I 'm new to Python langauge.
>     As I want to use the API :
>
>		char* PyModule_GetFilename(PyObject *module)
>
>	in my python programm
>
>       What should I import for that I can use this .
>
>     Now it is  giving the error that:
>
>               PyModule_GetFilename  is not defined.

To be unambiguous, it's best to copy an interactive example
showing the error happening, and paste it into your post.
Plz help the helpers ;-)

>      Plz  help ....

That is getting the __file__ attribute of a module, it it exists
(which it will if the module was imported from a file, not built-in, etc.)

Example in Python source (or are you writing a C extension?)

 >>> import urllib
 >>> urllib.__file__
 'D:\\python22\\lib\\urllib.pyc'
 >>> import math
 >>> math.__file__
 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
 AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__file__'
 >>> math
 <module 'math' (built-in)>
 >>> urllib
 <module 'urllib' from 'D:\python22\lib\urllib.pyc'>

Regards,
Bengt Richter