Adding Modules to precompiled installation of Python

Jayant Kulkarni jayant at tam.cornell.edu
Tue Jul 23 20:03:57 EDT 2002

"Chris Liechti" <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9254A000DE623cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82...
> "Jayant Kulkarni" <jayant at tam.cornell.edu> wrote in
> news:ahiii8$4u2$1 at news01.cit.cornell.edu:
>
> >  My problem I guess is very specific so I doubt if somebody has run into
> > it before but any general help would be appreciated.
> >
> >  I am using the finite-element package Abaqus which comes with
> > precompiled Python (ver 1.5). I want to interface this with Matlab using
> > Pymat. (PyMat utility by Sterian). The problem is that as the python is
> > precompiled I do not know how to import new modules..
> >
> > Additional info:
> >  The PyMat utility comes with PyMat.cpp and Pymat.pyd.
> >  I am on a Windows OS. (Though I have access to Linux, and I can work on
> > that system as well.. So solution to the problem in any OS should be of
> > help)
>
> have you tried to copy those file to the current directory an type (or
make
> a script with):
>
> import PyMat
>
> either it works or you'll get an exception from python. if you get an
> exception, add it to you next msg. note that pyd must be compiled for a
> specific python (major) version (i.e. 1.5/2.0/2.1 etc.). so you'll need
> Pymat.pyd for 1.5
>
> chris
> --
> Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>
     Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the PYTHONPATH so that it points
to the pymat.pyd file. I then tried
 >>> import PyMat
 And I get the following error:
 ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (initPyMat)

 If I try
 >>> import pymat
 I get the error:
 Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

 Any light that can be shed would be of help! Thanks!

jayant kulkarni