Linux clock-setting script

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Wed Jul 10 14:10:35 EDT 2002

Paul Rubin <phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> wrote:
>William Park <opengeometry at NOSPAM.yahoo.ca> writes:
>> I've seen it, but it's a tarball which you have to download and compile.
>> Whereas, 'netdate', 'ntpdate', and 'telnet 13' are ready to run on all
>> Linux distribution.
>
>Why do people keep saying that?  Netdate and ntpdate are not on either
>of the Red Hat boxes I use (one is RH 7.2 and one is 7.3).

The rpm package might be called ntpd or xntpd, or some other variant.

One problem with rpm is that if a file is not on the installed system, you
have to jump through some loops to figure out which package it is supposed
to come from.  Hopefully the eventual CPyAN would be able to handle such
queries in an easy way.

Huaiyu