j2ee vs. python (and what our evil competitors are saying abo ut python)

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Tue Jul 9 21:03:21 EDT 2002

> http://www.journyx.com/pdf/PythonAtAGlance.pdf

A very good document. I would suggest a couple of possible changes for the
next revision.

I would probably change the "Python and Web Applications Development"
section to exclude JPython (and note please that JPython is an old version -
the current version is called Jython - no "P"), and have another section
called "Python and Java". "Java/Python integration" acctually suggests the
JPE (Java/Python Extension) which is another alternative for integrating
Java and (C)Python (and could possibly be mentioned, but is not used
anywhere near as much, simply because Jython is so complete).

Additionally, I would change the text to read along the lines of:

    Python has an implementation written in Java called
    "Jython". Jython has full access to all Java class
    libraries as well as the majority of the Python
    libraries. It is usable in any situation where Java
    is appropriate, including client-side web applets
    and complete applications.

I would also change the "It is not J2EE compliant." myth to read:

    It is certainly possible to write a J2EE compliant
    application using Jython, and many developers are
    doing so.

and would have the links as:

    http://www.python.org
    http://www.jython.org