python2 import trouble (linux - redhat)

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 17 13:23:41 EDT 2002

Joseph Wilhelm wrote:
> I believe, off the top of my head, that all of the Python packages you
> have installed are only for Python 1.5.2, since this is the default
> Python distribution provided in RedHat (Although this appears to have
> changed in the most recent beta! Woohoo!).

What have they changed it too? Please, please tell me that they are
using something like:

#!/usr/bin/python2.2
(or whatever version)
for their admin tools.

The point is that the problem with redhat has not been that it uses
1.5.2. but that all the admin tools require 1.5.2 to by what "python"
invokes. If they has specified the version on thei #! lines, then it
would be no problem to install newer versions as well, and they probably
would ahve provided packages to do so as well.

If all they have done is upgrade to 2.2 or whatever, then we'll all have
the same problem in a another year or two :-(

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov