distutils cygwin bdist_wininst

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jul 23 00:11:39 EDT 2002

I am trying to create a windows installer for my extension module using
distutils. Before, I have created the setup.py, and this works
beautifully on cygwin.

I would like to be able to distribute my extension as a Windows
installer, so that users don't have to mess around with compilers they
might not even have. If I try to make a windows installer on cygwin with

python setup.py bdist_wininst

I get the following error message:

distutils.errors.DistutilsPlatformError: distribution contains
extensions and/or C libraries; must be compiled on a Windows 32 platform

If I try to run the same command with Python under Windows instead of
Python on cygwin, then distutils tries to use the cl.exe compiler, which
I don't have.

Is it possible to create a Windows installer with distutils using the
Cygwin/mingw gcc compiler?

Thanks in advance.

Michiel de Hoon
University of Tokyo, Human Genome Center