Idle setup install falis on Win2k

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Jul 8 23:56:56 EDT 2002

[David LeBlanc, wrestling with Idle on Windows]
> BULLSHIT!
>
> RTFC!
>
> If you run /python22/tools/idle/setup.py install see what happens!!!

Ah, you didn't mention setup.py before.  I didn't even know there was such a
thing.  The PLabs Windows installer installed Idle by itself.  There's no
need for you to run setup.py for Idle on Windows; I assume it's there for
the benefit of the Unix distro, but I don't really know.

[various unhappiness snipped]
> If /python22/tools/idle/setup.py shouldn't be run on Windows, WHY IS IT
> THERE?

The Windows installer-builder copies the entire Idle source directory; ditto
the entire Lib directory; and so on.  I used to try to be more selective,
but the way Wise works, copying a whole directory is trivial and fails soft,
while trying to filter it leads to masses of hard-to-maintain script that
fail hard.  It's a "better safe than sorry" tradeoff.

> Strange as it might seem to you, some Windows developers use a command
> line and, at least in theory, if you install Idle, you should be
> able to run it from a command line. (BTW, it did install in the python22
> group of the start menu.)

You already know that you can extract the command line needed from the
installed shortcut's Properties, if you want to use a command line.  I have
no axe to grind about that either way -- suit yourself.

> AS for things that "only work for me", I have reinstalled C++, Python and
> re-built standaloneZODB and it STILL compiles and crashes. I personally
> suspect all the weird and funny games that are played by SAZODB when it
> loads. Why, for example, does it import things and then delete them?
> (site-packages/zodb/__init__.py).

As I've told you several times, I don't currently work on SAZODB as such.
You should raise your ZODB issues on the ZODB mailing list.  I can assure
you you'll get a lot of sympathy about the odd import tricks the code plays;
there's an ongoing effort to reduce this obscure magicalness in Zope3 and
ZODB4.

> Just because I'm the only one experiencing a problem DOES NOT mean that
> there's not a problem with your (Zope's) code!

Sure.

> I'm glad you declared the problem solved and then just walked away.

That's out of line, David.  I gave you a lot of help, and the last
communication we had on the subject came from you on Saturday afternoon,
where you said you were *going* to try some things ("reinstall VC6sp5
without the AMD extensions ASAP (not today though").  I never heard more
about that until now.  Now that I hear that it didn't work, I encourage you
to send me the code you compiled, as I earlier sent you the code I compiled.
The last I heard, the code I sent you worked for you.  It would be helpful
to learn whether the code you compiled fails for me.

Chill out.

it's-just-a-computer-ly y'rs  - tim