tk for python using linux(NEWBIE)

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at pragmadev.com
Fri Jan 4 10:22:07 EST 2002

> Could someone please tell me,in as easiest language possible, how to load
> tcl/tk for python under Linux as i have tried various things suggested in
> books and don't seem to be getting anywhere.

What's exactly the problem? Are you trying to use the Tkinter module in an
already compiled Python interpreter, or are you trying to compile the
Python interpreter?
If you're just trying to use an already compiled interpreter, it may be
that it was compiled without Tk support (which is the default). The
symptoms are then a traceback on the line "import _tkinter" whenever you
try to import the Tkinter module. If you're trying to compile the
interpreter, it may be that the Tcl/Tk libraries are missing, the symptoms
being here that the link will fail.
I've had both problems, so just tell me what happens and I'll try to help.
 - eb -