Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jan 8 14:07:05 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1010511911.6400.python-list at python.org>, Mark McEahern wrote:

>> Users must understand their tools, because modern tools are too powerful,
>> and pressing incorrect button these days may easiliy lead to people death,
>> or huge money lost, and all that.
>
> Hmm, I don't really understand how my car works.

Not at all?  You don't know the steering wheel does?  How to
turn on the lights?  What the speedometer reading means?

> I don't think that has any impact on my ability to be a safe
> driver, though.

It certainly does! Assuming you drive regularly (and since
you're still alive) you most certainly know a great deal about
how your car works.

> You're saying my mom would have to understand compilers before it would be
> safe for her to use a computer?  I don't understand compilers.

No, but she needs to understand compilers if she want's to use
them.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I guess it was all a
                                  at               DREAM... or an episode of