Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue Jan 8 14:12:17 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:04:50AM -0800, Mark McEahern wrote:
> My point, which I should have stated more explicitly, was simply to
> challenge what I considered a simplistic assertion:
>
>   To use a given technology safely you need to completely understand it.

   Every useful technology can be dangerous. We can make it safer by
better understanding the technology and its dangerous points. Of course I
didn't mean "complete understanding" - this is what professionals are for.
But we must oppose and resist those professionals that exercsie their power
through technology, making us their slaves instead of them being our
servants.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru