Autocoding project proposal.

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 25 12:34:23 EST 2002

"Timothy Rue" <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote ...
[ ... lots of stuff ...]
> I also believe such efforts to automate such a coding process qualifies as
> genuine software engineering, as opposed to psuedo software engineering.

You can, of course, believe what you like (and apparently do). Personally I
would say _success_ at automating such a coding process *might* qualify as
genuine software engineering. But you appear to reject all the conventional
trappings of the engineering approach in favor of an inscrutable network of
semantics which, as far as I can tell, has meaning only for you.
[ ... ]

> I simple want to get a tool built that can be useful to all of us, allow
> me and others to do alot more.
>
> I'm sorry you seem to have a problem with that.

Way back in the 1980's, someone wrote a program called "The Last One", which
was intended to do all future programming for us. Nobody, we were told,
would ever need to program again, as the programming would be done by "The
Last One" and we would simply describe our tasks to it (isn't that
programming anyway?). I seem to remember they even had the nerve to bring
out "The Last One, Version 2", which was an implicit admission of failure.
Don't see anyone using it now...

The criticism of your code is justified from an engineering point of view.
If you can't eat that you won't get anywhere in software development.

But good luck anyway.

regards
 Steve
--