Distutils prerequisites on Windows?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Jan 26 16:52:57 EST 2002

Max M wrote:
> So now I wonder ... What version of MS VC do I need to compile packages
> with distutils for Puthon 2.1.2 or 2.2 ?? Is this the right question to
> ask at all?

Sure.

> I have an old versin of VC 6.0 lying around and would naturally prefer
> to use that so I can avoid spending money once more on a compiler.

Just patch your MSVC++ my applying the last SP available from the
Microsoft site (I suggest you first disinstall and reinstall MSVC++ from
scratch, then apply JUST the latest SP: sometimes if you have already
installed a previous SP a newer one may give problem, while applying
an SP on the from-scratch-install generally works just fine).  The SPs
fix bugs which may give trouble, and the last one made quite a decently
stable compiler.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/dnldoverview.asp is the
URL you need -- unfortunately it's a huge download, but it's worth it.

Alex