Executable program is possible?

Thomas Heller thomas.heller at ion-tof.com
Mon Jan 21 12:14:08 EST 2002

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote in message news:7xhepf8wyv.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Thomas Heller" <thomas.heller at ion-tof.com> writes:
> > > 2) How large is the .exe file typically, if the Python program isn't
> > > large and doesn't use a lot of modules?
> >
> > A trivial "print 'Hello, World'" exe-file is 48 kBytes (plus the
> > pythonxx.dll, which it still needs).
>
> Hmm, can you tell me how big pythonxx.dll is?  Is any other stuff
> needed besides the dll?
No other stuff needed (in this simple case).

Nontrivial programs may need one or more of this list (these are the
extensions distributed with Python 2.2. Size in bytes, filename):
  81,965 bsddb.pyd
 135,168 expat.dll
  24,576 mmap.pyd
  41,006 parser.pyd
  36,911 pyexpat.pyd
  20,526 select.pyd
 619,520 tcl83.dll
 928,768 tk83.dll
 212,992 unicodedata.pyd
  20,480 winsound.pyd
  61,484 zlib.pyd
  45,103 _socket.pyd
  53,292 _sre.pyd
  20,480 _symtable.pyd
  24,576 _testcapi.pyd
  28,720 _tkinter.pyd
  36,864 _winreg.pyd

And here are the pythonxx dlls:
   558,080 python15.dll
   667,709 python20.dll
   708,669 python21.dll
   839,728 python22.dll

> I was really hoping for a monolithic .exe that included all necessary
> modules for the application, plus the interpreter, in order to
> absolutely minimize installation hassles for the end user.  I.e. I'd
> like to be able to give my Python app to a non-Python Windows user by
> saying "just download this .exe and run it".  It would be nice if the
> .exe was reasonably small, but the main thing is it shouldn't need any
> technical skill to get it running.
>
> Is there some kind of auto-installer included with py2exe, that can
> unwrap everything and do the necessary installs?  If not, adding one
> would be a big win.

No, not currently. You can however easily build one with
the free Innosetup.

Thomas