Executable program is possible?

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Mon Jan 21 11:55:52 EST 2002

"Thomas Heller" <thomas.heller at ion-tof.com> writes:
> > 2) How large is the .exe file typically, if the Python program isn't
> > large and doesn't use a lot of modules?
>
> A trivial "print 'Hello, World'" exe-file is 48 kBytes (plus the
> pythonxx.dll, which it still needs).

Hmm, can you tell me how big pythonxx.dll is?  Is any other stuff
needed besides the dll?

I was really hoping for a monolithic .exe that included all necessary
modules for the application, plus the interpreter, in order to
absolutely minimize installation hassles for the end user.  I.e. I'd
like to be able to give my Python app to a non-Python Windows user by
saying "just download this .exe and run it".  It would be nice if the
.exe was reasonably small, but the main thing is it shouldn't need any
technical skill to get it running.

Is there some kind of auto-installer included with py2exe, that can
unwrap everything and do the necessary installs?  If not, adding one
would be a big win.

Thanks

Paul