port doubling (or...)?

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Mon Jan 21 17:29:22 EST 2002

"maximilianscherr" <MaximilianScherr at T-Online.de> wrote in
news:mailman.1011648811.4270.python-list at python.org:
> thanks,
> have
> it's a sever emu for uo, and i'm afraid, i can't change the port
> (would be easier). the server does not handle all incoming packets,
> so: lack of features. but i know the packet descriptions and
> formats... so i could add this myself. the server has a sendpacket
> command but not a receivepacket loop or something:( so i would need
> to be able to accept connections on the same port, and if they are
> unknown packets, they are handled by my server script.
> like if packet = "BA97..."

can you run the server on a diffrent port? you could filter incomming
requests on your server running on the original port and just pass along
the ones you not interested in to the original server.
this could also be done with two machines, without changing ports.

> thats what i want to do, i was told it is possible with socket
> programming.

UPD and TCP protocols have their own numbering you can have a server of
each family on the same port number.

> but i don't know if that is right for python too:)

python is usualy the right choice for anything....

Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>