What does Python fix?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jan 17 14:42:33 EST 2002

[Courageous]

> Instead, I discarded Lisp as an antiquated system used by fanatics who
> likely don't spend much time exposing themselves to modern alternatives.

You were still young and foolish at the time :-).

LISP undoubtedly has its virtues.  Even if LISP has its fanatics, there
are many reasonable people who like it and use it.

An alternative is not necessarily better because it is more modern.  People
might argue about why LISP had such a long life, but surely, some modern
things would not last that long.  There might a real good idea underneath.

I'm not trying to say that LISP is the best possible language.  On the
other hand, it is not what you described, above.  Let's try to share our
love of Python, without being fanatic against other languages.