What does Python fix?

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 12:40:46 EST 2002

>> > Or worse, use it for a while, and then learn to hate it.

>> I don't know; I think most programmers are simply far too conservative
>> and too intolerant of superficial syntactical features.

>Programming should be about using the best tool for a given task. People
>that stop at indentation or parenthesis "are not devoted to programming".

Speaking of tools and their correct use, DON'T TOP POST GODDAMMIT!

Now that I have that off my mind, it must irk you to know, then, that
I programmed in Lisp professionally for about 2 years. According to
the various lisp zealots, this should mean naturally that I ought to
have become a true believer. Instead, I discarded Lisp as an antiquated
system used by fanatics who likely don't spend much time exposing them-
selves to modern alternatives.

One thing which critically hamstrings Lisp is its lack of anything
resembling the scope or size of Java or Python's standard library.
Another thing which cripples it is the paucity of online code bases
to select from. These two together are enough to torpedo anyone
with any sense.

A language which is designed in such a way that it _requires_ a
specialized editor is itself a form of foolery guaranteed to alienate
many programmers (including this one), who passionately prefer a
particular editor.

Don't get me started about the cost of the tools!

C//