embedding an extension

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Wed Jan 16 18:25:06 EST 2002

Bengt Richter <bokr at oz.net> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2002 08:33:47 GMT, "Arno Baan" <a.baan at fokkerspace.nl> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to embed some python into an C++ program.
>>I've written an some extensions to python wich I need.
>>Now I'm able to create objects and perform their functions.
>>
>>What I would like to do is:
>>open existing objects in my C++ program and access these
>>using python code.
>>Is this possible and how can it be done??
>>
>>I hope someone can help me.
>>
> Maybe this 2.2 documentation will help?
>
> http://python.org/doc/current/ext/extending-with-embedding.html

Another suggestion -- Start with Modules/xxmodule.c in the Python
2.2 source distribution.  This is a lot of work, but it will enable
you to implement a new Python type, instances of which wrap
instances of your C++ object.  You will be able to implement this
new type so that the attributes of an instance of the new type give
access to the member functions and variables of your C++ class.

Section 2, "Defining New Types" in the "Extending and Embedding the
Python Interpreter" manual gives help with this.

I wish SWIG did this for us.  Hmmm. Maybe I'd better go check.

[a few minutes later]

SWIG does do something in this direction.  I don't understand it
well enough to explain or recommend it.  I'm looking into it.
Perhaps a SWIG expert can educate us.

And, as to getting access to existing C++ objects -- Implement and
expose to Python a function that returns a tuple of wrapped
objects.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman