String encoding problem in frozen application

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Tue Jan 22 09:31:53 EST 2002

Eric Brunel wrote:

> I have an application that I froze using Gordon McMillan's installer.
> When run with the interpreter, the application runs perfectly, but when
> frozen I get errors on lines like:
> text = unicode(text, "UTF-8").encode('iso8859-1')
> The error is:
> LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding
> Does anybody know a way to make things work? Do I have to include
> "manually" something defining the encodings I want to use, and if I do,
> where do I find it? I searched the Python documentation and the
> McMillan website, but didn't find anything concerning this problem.

You need an explicit import of either "codecs" or any encoding (you'll
get them all, whether you want them or not :-().

The problem is that the import of the encoding is implicit.
As a red-blooded American, I have luxuriated in my ignorance
of all unicode issues, but I guess I'll have to figure out
what triggers that bit of magic.

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/