Status of Python for .NET

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Thu Jan 31 13:25:05 EST 2002

Gerson Kurz wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> - The current version of VisualPython .NET seems not to generate CLR
> code, but just provide a fancy IDE for "Python as we know and love
> it". Will Python support the CLR, and specifically the
> language-interoperability thing? (I'm asking because I want to be
> spared the ... bad language-lookalike that is C#).
>
> - With the leave of Mark Hammond from Activestate, does anybody have a
> guess about the future of Visual Python .NET?

Brian Quinlan answered both of these correctly.  Visual Python for
Visual Studio.NET is a Python IDE for Visual Studio.NET, and has
relatively little to do with the .NET CLR.  Mark's work on the Python
for .NET implementation was a research effort, and is not in
ActiveState's product plans at the moment.  You should feel free to
tackle some of the Python -> .NET runtime issues if you want, and I'm
sure Mark would share his thoughts on the matter.  See his paper at:

    http://www.activestate.com/Initiatives/NET/Research.html

and information on Visual Python at:

    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/

FYI, I'll be talking about all of these things at IPC10 in the Tools
track.

-- David Ascher
   ActiveState