History of 'self' and why not at least 'my'?

Elf M. Sternberg elf at drizzle.com
Fri Jan 11 13:30:57 EST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Elf> "Self" isn't all that comfortable anyway, since the 'lf'
>     Elf> combination has to be one of the hardest to hit.  It involves an
>     Elf> awkward twist of the right wrist to hit the 'l' with the pinky, 'l'
>     Elf> being the rightmost letter on the top row, followed by another
>     Elf> awkward twist in the opposite direction, 'f' being the leftmost
>     Elf> letter of the right hand on the top row.  "My" involves
>     Elf> significantly less motion from my hands.

> What sort of keyboard do you use?  Dvorak or something similar?

	Give the man a prize.  Dvorak is exactly right.

	Point being, any given discussion of keyword choices to optimize
keyboarding efficiency will inevitably leave some people out of the
optimiziation.  The whole world does not use American QWERTY.

		Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, Immanentizing the Eschaton since 1988
http://www.drizzle.com/~elf/       (under construction)

I have seen the light.  I was not impressed.