IDE for developing cross-platform GUI Windows/Linux/Mac apps

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Tue Jan 22 17:06:06 EST 2002

tkinter doesn't really run that well on the Mac, or at least that is what
I've read recently on the pythonmac-sig. However, in the Python world of
January 2002, tkinter is the "safe" solution for running on the most
platforms, even if it isn't the best GUI solution. Keep in mind that QT does
not use native widgets. That makes it a non-starter for many people,
including myself. wxWindows is working on the Mac and based on the following
post I'm hoping we are really in Real Soon Now territory for wxPython Mac
(Python wrapper of wxWindows for the Mac)

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/PythonCard/984781

You can use Boa, wxDesigner, and some other IDE and layout tools with
wxPython. PythonCard http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/ which sits on top of
wxPython has a layout editor, but it fairly simplistic as of release 0.6.2.
Your app requirements would of course have an impact on whether it is good
enough. If nothing else, you should be able to look at some of the twenty
plus samples, go through tutorial included with the counter sample and spend
some time with the resourceEditor (layout editor) to see if it meets your
needs now. If not, check back in a few releases in the future.

ka

"Alexander Skwar" <ASkwar at DigitalProjects.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2002.01.22.21.12.20.453703.24332 at teich.garten.digitalprojectcs.com.
..