* separated values

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 16:23:46 EST 2002

    Cliff> Besides, as the original poster noted, there are several CSV
    Cliff> modules available which leaves one wondering which one to use.

This is a problem I've noticed with CPAN.  If you try "i /csv/" from the
CPAN shell you get 15 matches (1 bundle, 5 distributions and 9 modules).
The VoP lists 11 matches for "csv".  Someone coming in fresh will have a
tough time deciding which one (or more) they should install.

    Cliff> Having an XML parser in the standard library at least makes the
    Cliff> argument that _it_ is the "canonical" module.

Exactly.  In the case of XML it's a complex enough morass that it's really
nice to have something just work without having to explicitly install any
third-party code.  In the case of CSV the problem is knowing which one of
several packages to choose from.  Having a basic CSV parser/generator in the
core makes sense to me because it is probably still the most widely used
data interchange format (XML notwithstanding).

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)