* separated values

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 15 13:44:42 EST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:15:35 +0300
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 05:00:57PM +0300, Roman Suzi wrote:
> > >    May be, better way will be to remove ConfigParser? No kidding, I
really
> > > mean it - why bload the library? Instead let us create Python CPAN
and move
> > > modules there. I think even XML libraries should be removed from the
> > > standard lib.
> >
> > I do not think XML needs to be removed. It's good to have it
> > with standard library. Not before CPyAN will become
> > operational and trustable.
>
>    That was what I mean - create CPyAN and move xml libs there.

I disagree.  Much of Python's power comes from its extensive library.  I
agree that a CSV parser might be a little too specialized for inclusion in
the standard lib, but XML is far too useful not to include.  We'd soon be
seeing the list fill up with newbie questions regarding "does Python
support XML?".  Besides, as the original poster noted, there are several
CSV modules available which leaves one wondering which one to use.  Having
an XML parser in the standard library at least makes the argument that _it_
is the "canonical" module.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer