Numeric - writing extentions

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Thu Jan 17 12:34:47 EST 2002

Hey Jesper,

> My extention module is a speech recogniser - so I think
> it would be a bit ritch to inline it all :-)

weave.inline is actually pretty flexible and might be up to the task.  If it
doesn't look like it is the right tool, you might look at the
weave.ext_tools module.  It takes much of the hard work out of building
stand-alone extension modules and will handle Numeric array conversions
automatically.  If your code library already exists, tools like SWIG are
also good options.

Unless your interested in doing this as a learning process, I think a
wrapper generator is gonna be faster and less error prone than hand coding
the extensions.

> But the weave exampel looks interesting - I might want to use it
> if it is stabel.

It's to early (0.2) to call it stable, but it passes a reasonably large test
suite across 4  different platforms, and we're working to get around
compiler bugs on another one (almost there).  I consider it usable for real
work now on the supported platforms.

SWIG has been around along time and can be considered stable.

eric

news:<a24fvk$f79$1 at peabody.colorado.edu>...