Python Extension Designer / Builder.

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jan 26 17:03:19 EST 2002

    Gustavo> You hit the nail on the head; I didn't actually know *why* SWIG
    Gustavo> seemed to me backwards, but it gave me an ugly gut feeling
    Gustavo> everytime I sat down to use it.  But, having the code generator
    Gustavo> in python, it's much easier to work with, and control.

The big win with SWIG is that one description can be reused for multiple
language wrappers.

    Gustavo> My idea of using XML as a description language is that,
    Gustavo> first, it's already a standard for metadata representation.

XML is fine I suppose if you have a GUI to generate it, but if you want to
edit the description using a plain old text editor, having it in a format
like SWIG's .i file or Gtk's s-expressions makes more sense to me.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)