Book Royalties

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Jan 4 07:12:23 EST 2002

"Laura Creighton" <lac at strakt.com> wrote in message
> I disagree with Peter Milliken's assertion that the only audience
> for "Thinking in Python" is most likely found in comp.lang.python.
> I think the set of people 'too busy to read newsgroups' is a more
> significant market segment for Bruce Eckel to target.  He has his

Definitely.

> own newsletter, but I do not know what else he does to try to
> reach this segment.  It is a nasty problem.

What about, having Prentice-Hall publish his books?  That's what
he's done for "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java" (and
similarly earlier books too, I think, although it may have
been McGraw-Hill -- doesn't change the point, I believe).

It seems to me that existing publishers and bookshops (including
both online and brick-and-mortar stores) are a reasonably good setup
to market and sell books (as well as, at least potentially, helping
enormously with editing, production, and so on).  No doubt better
alternatives may one day emerge, but, so far, I have seen none.

Alex